"Don't let the world change your smile, but let your smile change the world." ~Anonymous

Saturday, July 9, 2011

The wild ride of the Recession

   I know that this awful time of the recession has affected us all in some way.  Just hang on and be strong and I know it's hard, but stay positive!  Don't focus on the negative things, it's a waste of time, it doesn't help, and it doesn't do anyone any good.  Focus on the good in all of it, your blessings, what you actually do have, because if you are reading this right now, chances are you have it better than a lot of other people in this world.  Be thankful.  I do know it's rough, but I promise you, like my mom always says-
"There's always a light at the end of the tunnel" ~Leann Welton
   When you feel like you are at your darkest point it can only get brighter right?  Just tough it out, because in the end it will be worth it.  These kind of trials are to make us stronger, at least I know that's what it has done for me so far.  The recession has opened my eyes to all the many great things I have been blessed with, it has made me stronger, and it has humbled me.
   In January of 2005, my dad got a new job!  The family was so excited- better job, more money, and a new start.  At least that's what we thought.  The recession hit and business began declining everywhere.  We lived in Phoenix at the time and in 2008, my dad was asked to start traveling to Vegas for work.  At first, he started out only leaving for a couple days a week, which eventually became 5 days a week.  He had a family at home, and we only got to see him on weekends.  That is if he got to come home on weekends.  This went on for almost 3 years, until his boss asked if the whole family would move to Vegas.  Life in Arizona was going great for the kids- Marly was doing well in school, had a close group of friends, and was excelling in her sports.  I had been on my high school's Varsity cheer and track teams since Freshman year, I was Class President Freshman and Sophomore year, I was getting invited to leadership conferences, and was excelling in my classes as well.  Grant had a job, graduated high school and was doing great in college, and was getting prepared to leave for his mission.  The thought of moving was unreal after living there for 14 years.  My mom kept offering me to finish high school and live with my aunt in AZ.  But I couldn't imagine 2 more years of my life without my family being entirely together.  My family is my foundation and I told her that no, I wouldn't stay.  My family is much more important to me than anything else going on in my life.
   Grant left for his mission in January, and I put a smile on my face and moved into the trailer with my dad in February and started school.  Marly and my mom soon followed in March, and we moved into a house.  My first day of school,  I found out that I was listed as being "homeless" for living in a trailer, and that Student Council Elections were the following week  Being in homeless wasn't too bad- I got free lunches!  My mom told me that maybe by running for something other than Class President I would have a better shot at being elected.  I told her that I have the same shot at any of the positions, no one knew me, and I was still going to strive for my goal and go big, no matter what the circumstances were.  This wasn't easy, but long story short, it was announced that I had won my election.  I still can't believe it...
   Then track season came, and luckily I made Varsity!  A couple of months later cheer tryouts came, and I had a pulled groin muscle.  I ended up tearing it during my tryout, but made Varsity for this following season as well!  I couldn't believe how well everything was turning out.  Marly on the other hand was having a much harder time adjusting.  She goes to a middle school that's almost as big as my old high school, and she didn't take that very well.  It took her awhile to adjust, but just recently she has been starting to enjoy it here.  I, along with the family, have been trying to be there for her and staying strong throughout this new move.  I know she is growing a lot from this, and I'm so proud of her for getting through it.  Grant is on his mission, so he has his own things to worry about.  Now the only problem is, is that we have had 5 different people say they would rent our house, and then later tell us they weren't interested anymore.  We are still looking for people to move in.  Not being able to pay for 2 house payments, today my mom and I started packing up the new house and moving our stuff into storage.  The family and I are going back to the trailer park!  Honestly though, I don't care where we live.  I feel that as long as the family is together, life is complete and everything will work out eventually.  
   Cherish your family, and keep your relationships with them close.  It tears me apart to see families that are not close, or that are unhappy.  They will be the ones that are always by your side.  Like I said yesterday, I think that the recession in my family's situation, has been a blessing in disguise. ♥        
  

   

2 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I have heard the 'homeless' story from your Mom and think it is awesome that you turned it around and got on student council! You are an amazing writer! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Krista said...

Jade,

i think you're amazing! Very few people, let alone teenagers, would have the courage and wisdom to look at situations the way you do. I absolutely believe that one's attitude is what determines outcomes!